BREAKING: Hunger Existed Before I Was Born" — President Tinubu’s Remarks to Bishops Spark Heavy National Debate

 


​A viral screenshot attributed to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu claiming he told Nigerians, "Before I was born, there was hunger. Let your churches feed you; that’s why you’re a member," has sparked heated debates across social media platforms.

​Here is the exact context and breakdown of what transpired during the high-level meeting at the Presidential Villa:

  • ​The Actual Context: The remarks were made during a closed-door meeting between President Tinubu and a delegation from the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Nigeria (CBCN). Responding to the Bishops' concerns regarding rising inflation and widespread economic hardship, Tinubu noted that economic challenges and hunger were long-standing systemic issues in Nigeria that predated his administration.
  • ​What Was Said: According to official event reports, President Tinubu stated: "I inherited the liability of my predecessor, and I have been running with it. But this government has stabilised, and there's prosperity on the horizon... Before I was born, there was hunger in this country." He further charged faith-based institutions with using their moral authority to offer hope and spiritual support to citizens during tough times.
  • ​The Sensationalized Headline: While the President did emphasize the role of churches and religious institutions in keeping hope alive among the populace, the quote "Let your churches feed you; that's why you're a member" is a sensationalized, exaggerated paraphrase created by online blogs to maximize viral clicks.
  • ​National Reaction: The statement has drawn mixed responses. While administration supporters argue the President was highlighting historical economic context while charting a path forward, critics and opposition figures maintain that acknowledging historical hardship does not absolve the current leadership from delivering immediate economic relief.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking news. Oga Tinubu, I hear say you quietly visited Nnamdi Kanu in detention. I hope the discussion makes sense.

Breaking news. Tinubu went to visit.. ...

BREAKING: 2027: Orji Uzor Kalu Predicts Likely Winner of Presidential Election